We have changed some of our service related user profiles such as QTMHHTTP and QTMHHTP1 to have their own outq instead of using the system outq.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Robert Clay
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:06 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: QPRTDEV value question

A question arose today and I think I have a resolution but I want to run it by the community for input.

Our system value for QPRTDEV is (and has always been) PRT01.We have a device established for PRT01 and the output queue is started at IPL time.You know and I know that this is the system printer and all default output gets directed there.

For good or bad, we have some production jobs that go to PRT01 either directly or via override.PRT01 is just the "main production printer"
that everyone uses if they need a hard copy so it needs to be online/active at all times.

We've had some jobs (primarily QZDASOINIT jobs) with issues the past several weeks that are issuing dumps.The spool files for the dumps are directed to output queue QEZDEBUG where they remain unprinted.HOWEVER, there are associated spool files (entitled "Work with Job") that are printing out because they are going to PRT01.Depending upon the extent of the problem, these reports can run over 25 pages each.Normally, I would just chunk them in the recycle bin.But, we are wasting trees because no one will ever look at them.

It hasn't been an issue for the 15+ years that I've been here but my boss found a few of the reports.I have been tasked with determining a resolution to this horrible problem which has occurred 8 times in the past 2 weeks (she is a bit dramatic at times).

I think that an easy solution would be to setup a dummy print device or output queue that wouldn't ever have the print writer started (say,
PRT99) and change the QPRTDEV value to match it.That way, the system default output would go there and never print until manually reviewed and moved to an actual printer with active output queue/writer (or, until the housekeeping process removes it at a later date, a threshold I can set to whatever I want).

We IPL every Sunday so I know that the change would only affect new jobs and wouldn't take full affect until after the next IPL.

So, the question that I have is if anyone sees a problem with this plan?

Or, does the system printer NEED to be an active printer/output queue/writer?

Thanks in advance for any input,

Robert

--
"Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."--Tweedledee