Pete,

IVM is present whenever you DONT use an HMC, i have a power4 blade (JS21)
gathering dust and i've been meaning to test it with VIOS; but i thought it
better to start with the HMC and the big POWER6 machine...
If i'm not mistaken, you cant access the IVM part of VIOS when the system
is HMC managed, since the HMC takes over those functions.

Best Regards,