One of the difficulties with expressing opinions regarding the state of the
midrange ecosystem and it's languages is that many people on these lists
are blinded to external realities by what they see happening at their
workplace or environment.

- IBM i is a niche platform
- RPG is a language on a niche platform
- IBM i (and therefore RPG) are not mainstream systems and therefore most
development does not take place using RPG.
- New customers are not flocking to IBM i (though there are wins here and
there)

All the examples cited here to disprove the argument that RPG is dead are
exceptions to what is happening in the general industry. It's dead inasmuch
as knowing RPG is not a ticket to a large number of job choices and work
wherever/whenever you want it.

Is IBM i a good platform ? Certainly, it's a great platform.

Would I make it my career choice if I was starting out now ? No.

Therefore, learn SQL before you learn RPG; learn RPG if you have a use for
it and learn only what you need to learn. Learn HTML, PHP, Java .Net or
anything else that is trasnportable.