On 5/14/2013 1:44 PM, TheBorg wrote:
....but it is soooooo much easier for the guy with two first names if
*you* look it up for him! ;-D
-sjl

I'm old, so of course the only things I can remember clearly are now 3
decades old. I remember those paper manuals. We put them in a manual
shelf and it was over 6 feet long, two full shelves. That was a lot of
stuff to go through, and in hindsight, I can tell you that I had not a
clue which bits were 'nice to know' and which bits were 'mission
critical' so of course I thought I had to memorise it all.

In hindsight, that was silly. But the problem of novice information
overload has got worse since I read those paper manuals. Worse because
there are more manuals than ever. Worse because some of the information
is in a wiki on DeveloperWorks or an archive on this list or an article
published somewhere. Worse because there's so much more that needs to
be understood.

And there's still no decent syllabus to guide a newcomer. We're like
mediaeval artisans, passing on our intricate knowledge of barrel making
down to our apprentices. There's no school, no guide, no royal road to
learning. Newcomers are going to look at our machine through whatever
framework they were exposed to earlier and they're going to be making
assumptions based on that framework. They're going to have difficulty
knowing which bits are mission critical and which bits are nice to know.

That's where we come in. On the one hand, if we make it too easy (look
it up for them) we're clearly not teaching them how to think like a
midranger. But if we just say RTFM without pointing out which bits to
start with, they'll remain frustrated. We can hope that a newcomer
would toddle off to say, the Security manual and have a look around and
then ask a specific question. I think the way to encourage that is
to... well, encourage it.

This list has a recurring feature called Is The Midrange Dead? I don't
think it is, but we aren't helping ourselves if we don't nurture the
young. I'm very much aware that these young may well take my job away
because I am old and expensive. That's why I'm following my own advice
and learning as much webbish stuff as I can. I plan on making my own
niche market - MR to SQL via ILE with Java icing. :-)
--buck