From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Anderson, Kurt
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:16 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Recommendations for a newcomer?

"RPG and COBOL are dead. No new development in these languages is being done. Others on this list may disagree: I ask them to provide concrete examples of development being done beyond a few modules in either language."

Clay, I won't argue with Dan, but will instead give you my perspective of these languages (at least specifically CL & RPGLE).
1. IBM is updating these languages, so it's not as if the languages are not growing in terms of their capabilities.
2. I've done a lot of new development with RPGLE. For 'new' I do include rewriting a process in order to get some fundamental enhancements into the process, but there has definitely been 'new' development as well.

I don't recall if you said you're familiar with SQL, but I'd strongly suggest that whatever direction you decide to go, pick up SQL. Play with SQL. Even if you don't end up using SQL in programs, using SQL to investigate data issues is stellar.

I'm of the opinion that we (RPG/CL) are a niche market. This can be good (less competition for employment, potentially higher pay due to supply & demand), and it can be bad (shortage of available jobs in comparison with other languages).

One great step you've made already is entrance to this mailing list which can provide a wealth of knowledge.

-Kurt