I think branding is the issue in the choice of a name like "IBM i". It just doesn't have the concreteness of a name such as AS/400 or System/38 or PDP11. "Watson" is better branding. "Silverlake" is good too. If forms an image in your head. There is something ambiguous and ephemeral about "IBM i on Power". It does not roll off the tongue or stick in one's memory. It doesn't create an image that one can focus on. I have used the terms 'Power 7' and 'IBM i' when talking with coworkers, both in IT and other departments. Neither term sticks with them. The term most often used and understood by the office staff is 'the 400'.

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Trevor
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 1:47 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: AS/400 Server.

Booth,

OUR personal preferences do not matter. IBM does not market to the old
5250 RPGII programmer. IBM has branded the platform IBM i for a strong future with Power Systems. And, they have stuck with it for FIVE yearsŠ and shown us charts with a future for IBM i until 2026 - at least!

Branding is not a programmer's skill, but it seems like a lot of very old programmers cannot get with the new brand. It was simply not that problem when the AS/400 replaced the S/38 and S/36, but for some reason, it is with IBM i on Power. The only difference is the age of the programmer. All that means is that somewhere, we all got to be Tired Old Grumpies, and we no longer want to move off our comfy chair. So we complain.

If we want the future to include IBM i, we have to start referencing IBM i and all the amazing things it can do. Using old branding, complaining about the branding, complaining about the marketing, complaining, complaining, complaining, is what happens on internet forums related to our platform. But not from the YiPs, not from those who still have passion, and not from those who wish to promote the platform and continue their career with the platform.

So, when we complain about "dunderheads in IBM's marketing offices", we are showing that we are simply not connected to IBM's marketing. When we whine about how our preferred name is better than the one chosen by IBM, we are showing our lack of marketing skills. All in all, when there is a bunch of noise from a bunch of TOGs, the rest of the world perceives our platform as long dead and gone. If we simply looked where the marketing is happening, if we simply researched what the power of IBM i on Power is (yes, I said that), if we simply did a little more homework than midrange-L, we would see that IBM i on Power IS the platform we have, and it is pretty amazing.

Then, when all the negative noise stops, and we - as a community - get back to bragging about how amazing IBM i really is, then other people will want some of what we have. Shall we step up to 20i3, or stay in 1999?

Trevor