A couple days ago I received a call from IBM saying that our development box had called home and reported a hardware problem. It turned out that 1 of 3 fans had burned out. You could smell the burnt electrical smell in the computer room.
I asked IBM what it might cost to fix it, and they quoted an estimate of $2,800.
That evening I removed the cover of the box, removed the fan with the burn-out motor, and ordered a replacement part off the Internet for $35.
I noticed some dust in the interior or the box, so I took it outside and blew out an incredible cloud of dust, using a compressor.
After the IPL the tape drive started working again. I had been without a tape drive for months after neglecting to clean it. The air compressor evidently fixed it. Now, just waiting for a replacement fan to arrive.
This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2015 by MIDRANGE dot COM and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available here. If you have questions about this, please contact