Since no has attempted to answer the original questions asked by "John", here are some of the reasons that come to me.

Answers inline.

-sjl

"John Matthew" wrote:
Hi All, Can some one please answer below quires.

Why AS/400 has become so popular.

1) Reliable,
2) Secure,
3) [With proper backups] easy recovery from hardware failures (if they ever occurs),
4) At one time, hundreds of commercially-available software solutions for small to large businesses,
5) Successor and migration path for previous IBM midrange systems,
6) A properly sized system can support *thousands* of simultaneous users.

What the advantages of AS/400.

See above!

The IBM midrange platforms were primarily marketed by IBM as "protecting the customer's investment in their software." What does this mean?

Unlike Windows applications, code which was written for the System/38, AS/400, iSeries, System i, or today's IBM i systems rarely has to be rewritten (or recompiled, for that matter) to use on the newer platforms because of the architecture of the operating system. I can take a tape containing the *object* code for a program which I wrote 30 years ago, and [assuming I have a tape drive which can read the media] I can restore it on the latest, greatest system and it will *run*, with no changes.

Why Client/Business prefer AS/400 server comparatively other server.

See above.

Who are the major customers of AS/400.

Many Fortune 500 companies have IBM midrange systems somewhere in the mix. My current client [of 7 years] is a multinational pharmaceutical company which uses JDE World Software running on several Power 6 IBM i 7.1 systems.

Total number of AS/400 customers.

????

Architecture of AS/400.

Buy Dr. Soltis' book: