Funny, we ran into this in the last few days. Also on V7R1.

One of the developers banged together a CPYF similar to what you did and it copied additional records when there were trailing blanks in the key. After trying several workarounds he could not get it to work to always copy only the desired record.

He has since sworn off CPYF & INCREL and replaced it with SQL. [ Insert into newfile (select * from oldfile where condition)]. This is a much more precise and IMHO reliable approach

In hindsight, I recollected reading about this in the past and one of the other developers turned up some internet discussion. I suspect IBM will not change anything.

Sam