On 02 May 2013 07:55, Stone, Joel wrote:
The UNIQUE key to this file was created as primary from DDS.

So there is a source member that describes a PF using DDS, whereby there is the file-level keyword UNIQUE along with one K-Spec to name the one key field

<<SNIP>> Can I DROP the field and ADD the column back to the
BEGINNING position (1st column)?

Yes. Using two CHGPF SRCFILE(specified) requests, for example:

The first CHGPF uses a modified DDS source member that makes a comment line for all of the following lines in the original source:
the UNIQUE specification
the K-spec
the column definition

The second CHGPF uses a modified DDS source which un-comments the column definition, optionally un-comments the K-spec, but which leaves the UNIQUE specification as a comment line or removes that line completely.

Another option is to perform the CHGPF noted above as the /second/ CHGPF, so as to use its level of source modifications [though not necessarily effected as indirectly as described in the above two-step process; and choosing an appropriate DFT specification if the date-type default is not preferable], *after* a SQL request to:
ALTER TABLE the_pf DROP COLUMN the_key_column