Yeah, there's a lot of crud that stays around FOREVER! Like, if you fail
to apply all PTFs permanently before you upgrade OS then the "saves" of
the old stuff stay there forever.

Let's say you're on 1.2 of the OS. You put on PTF SF00001. Pretend it
replaces program object QCMD. Before it does so it copies the old one to
some file like SF00001SV. That way, if you remove the ptf, it can restore
the old one. When you apply SF00001 permanently it will remove the
SF00001SV file. However, if you upgrade OS and have never applied SF00001
permanently then that SF00001SV save file will stay out there forever.

But from a higher level look at things, reviewing configs, etc while doing
your unload/reload can be a good cleanup. But does leave a large window
for something to go wrong. Now who do you blame it on? Your change? The
new hardware? The new OS? Missing PTF?