If I understand you correctly IBM i and the license program products are already on the new system. The trick is QGPL and QUSRSYS which is why your partner wants to scratch reload it. If, and only if, you have all of the configurations set up properly on the new box, then all you should need to do for QGPL and QUSRSYS is restore *NEW objects, that will pick up anything you missed. Then lay down all of the user libraries and directories etc.

The absolute safest way to go is the method your partner is suggesting, it will take longer, but you'll wind up with everything over on the new system.

Personally I like building the OS and the environment first, and then re-implementing the user applications on the new box because it provides an opportunity to clean up the system. That said, it also takes a bit more planning.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects