I had also found useful general documentation on ldapsearch using google - it's generally available on lots of platforms, apparently.

Chuck, you have seen a bit of the work I was doing with LDAP - ldapsearch is what I used.

For the record, here is the syntax -

ldapsearch /parameters searchfilter attributes

//parameters/ can be stuff like -h host-ip-address

/searchfilter/ is done with combinations of things like CN=some-value. We used this to limit the results to people in the US and Canada.

/attributes /is the list of attributes you want returned. To get first and last name, you specify, for example, givenname sn/

/Syntax for the search filter is kind of funky, feels like reverse polish or the like! Not as bad as Query/400, of course!/
/