With respect to the archival question, if the volume of permanent archive becomes large enough to need to back it off to Mylar, then the near line storage devices with LTFS start to sneak into the picture. One of my clients cut back up time in half, and decreased storage costs by moving all the engineering drawings and engineering change records off to a StrongBox LTFS system. The web site where that data could be requested pulls it in from the StrongBox and presents to the user without any changes in the web application. They put in a message saying the file was being pulled from archive, please be patient but the application itself did not change. There are other LTFS systems, but StrongBox is the one I know.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects