Why not use an API to inquire of [and poll on] the "Interface status" to see if the required service has been started, before invoking a feature that depends on the status having transitioned to /active/ from inactive or starting? Sure seems better than hard-coding a two-minute wait which could either be excessively long or perhaps merely momentarily too short, to allow the required service to become available. Doing that, whether the TCP/IP is started by CHGIPLA or by the startup program becomes irrelevant. Of course if the Start TCP/IP Server (STRTCPSVR) offered a synchronous wait option to await the confirmation of the start of the server [probably with a timeout error allowing the request to effectively give-up], then the next request could be coded assuming that its dependency on the prior start-command has completed. Does the following API not enable that?:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/apis/qtocrtvnetifcdta.htm
Retrieve Network Interface Data (QtocRtvNetIfcDta)

That is what I have similarly effectively questioned by my lambasting of recommendations shown to originate from IBM for similar hard-coding of wait times pending the ending of work in preparation for save activity; e.g. waits of five minutes coded, as described in [and in links found in] the following message:
Subject: Re: TCP/IP starts twice in V7

Regarding that KB item linked in the message quoted below...
Is it really so difficult for the OS processing of the STRTCP command itself to inquire of the system whether the other possibly conflicting work is already done, such that the request can safely continue, rather than creating a document that recommends customers add a hard-coded three-minute delay before issuing the STRTCP command? If that feature can not ask the correct questions of its underlying support to know when it may safely continue [to start], then why can not that feature itself calculate the time since "the IPL" and delay until 180 seconds after that point... given that wait time is the recommendation? Why offload that burden onto everyone who administers their system.

I am shocked at what crap some people will put up with, when they are so eager to complain about other things that seem to me like nits :-)

Regards, Chuck