In my experience, there is the possibility that UserID and Pwd can be optional for a SQL CONNECT to establish a DRDA connection to a remote database. IIRC that may require use of Change Server Auth Entry (CHGSVRAUTE) for IP connections.

Also available are the options of REXEC or AREXEC [the Run Remote Command (RUNRMTCMD) command], if the REXECD or AREXECD server\daemon is started and will accept commands.

The remainder, below... probably not of much interest. Just some thoughts I had when I was thinking about the inquiry.

Long ago I would use SBMNETJOB to get work done asynchronously [also on other physical systems]; using automatic submission. The target job would send back some feedback [message(s) and\or file(s)] when the work at the target system was completed; the sender could wait on the feedback\message, or could occasionally check [e.g. polling] for the feedback\file, or wait for the message as an event via a break handling program. The feedback could also be in the form of another job, also probably auto-submitted. Such a CL job stream could be used to issue the vary-on request after the completion of the vary-off activity on the other system. Another similar app had the recipient of a file via SNDNETF awaiting an arrival message and then reacting to pre-defined rules vs just submitting a CL stream, depending on each of the sender, the file name, and possibly also the contents of the file; such a process could similarly feedback to the sender.

Hmmm. I wonder if having DB2 MultiSystem to have a partitioned TABLE with one row per partition mapping the status of the device, with a TRIGGER on UPDATE with an external action to act on the device, might be able to be used to implement a correlation to which partition has the device active. Being a purchasable option, I suppose not a very likely choice to implement even if it seems possible.

But I suppose a similar concept using a TABLE on just the hosting partition could implement something. And then rather than DRDA to issue a command via the external stored procedure QCMDEXC, a DRDA request to update the row to /claim/ the device for a partition could trigger the work at the hosting system. The hosting system would of course run in a *LOCAL connection vs over DRDA. Between host and hosted seems simple enough, but between one hosted and another hosted requires that the hosting partition be able to communicate to the hosted partition other than the one requesting the UPDATE.

Regards, Chuck