Charles, your first reference is to an exit point program. That is limited to 32K, so that's not an SQL limit, that's the limit of a particular exit point program. When you happen to trigger the exit program with your 2MB sql statement only 32KB of it will make it through to the exit program, but your 2MB statement still executes, unless the exit program does something to prevent it.

Back when our machine was still in house I believe you saw the same kind of truncations of SQL statements in the audit journals. I seem to remember them only recording a portion of the executed

coy

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Charles Wilt
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2013 08:29
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: SQL Statement size limit?

Well as I said, I believe that this is coming through JDBC (but I'm checking on that :)

It also appears that a SQL0101 is being thrown...

SQL0101 Message Text: SQL statement too long or complex. Cause Text: The SQL statement is longer than the limit allowed for length or complexity.
The reason code is &1. One of the following reason codes indicates the
error:

- 1 - The total number of subselects combined using UNION, EXCEPT, and
INTERSECT is greater than 256.
- 2 - The total number of columns, constants, and operators is greater
than the SQL limits.
- 3 - The sum of the lengths of the non-LOB columns in a select list,
table, view definition, or user defined table function is greater than
32766 or the definition contains a LOB and the sum of the lengths specified
on the ALLOCATE clause for varying-length fields and the non-varying field
lengths is greater than 32740. The maximum length is reduced if any of the
columns are varying-length or allow null values.
- 4 - The total number of subselects referenced in an outer subselect is
greater than 256.
- 5 - The total length of the statement text is greater than 2097152, or
the total length of the prepare attribute string text is greater than 65535.
- 6 - The relative position value specified on the FETCH statement is
outside the range of valid values.
- 7 - A system name could not be generated.

Recovery Text: Simplify the statement or divide the statement up into more than one statement and try the request again. For reason code 7, specify a different name for the table, view, index, or alias. SQLCODE or SQLCODEs: -101 SQLSTATE or SQLSTATEs: 54001, 54010, 54011

But I'm basing that on the message text, "SQL statement too long or complex."
I was shown from the client side log. I haven't seen the actual joblog message with reason code.

I'd assume it would be reason 7.

But now I've got a third limit... 64KB.

The client side log showed the statement being cut off at 32K...but that could have just been a limitation of the logging.

Charles