Thanks, Bryan

That confirms my findings - I think I found a similar page about this.

I also saw something about a different method, on the HSSFFont, called setCharSet. This seems the more appropriate place to put this, anyhow.

But fortunately this isn't necessary for standard stuff.

CPYPF2XLS still seems to suffer from really slow performance. This seems somewhat in common with the other POI-based RPG-call solutions.

The SQL2JXL tool from Giuseppe Costagliola is really fast - it uses a different Java class - JExcelAPI - and he has written a true Java class that uses JDBC to process a specified SELECT statement. A problem with JExcelAPI, so far as I can tell, is that it does not support the new format for Excel and POI does.

Makes me wonder about extra overhead, if any, when running Java methods from RPG.

Vern