On 05 Apr 2013 21:28, Bradley Stone wrote:
Debug the program

Right after the command is built, eval it. Copy and past the command
that is run. This means the entire command with all the values
replaced, etc. The exact command that is run.

Paste it to a command line. Press enter. See what happens. That will
tell you what's going on.

A lot of times it is assumed you created the command right, but until
you debug it and see what's wrong you'll never know why the error is
happening

FWiW: In that specific scenario, the command could easily be forced into prompting to find out what the command string looks like; with a simple change and a re-compile... if the testing is performed interactively. That is because it is a known, that the command gets invoked, so the prompted command can be forced by preceding the CL request with a question mark character. Thus when the prompted command is presented, just use F14=Display Command String; that can be copied and pasted outside of the program invocation to review the failure, as suggested above.

Further comments inline below.