On Wed, 3 Apr 2013, at 09:31:13, Jeff Crosby <jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I just stumbled onto something today. Apparently an UPDSRVPGM does not
update the file record format level ID within the service program object on
any files used.

I changed the format of a file (added a field) and recompiled all programs
using it. For the service program using this file I recompiled the module,
then did UPDSRVPGM. The service program record format ID does not match
the file record format ID.

This is also sadly true of UPGPGM and has been this way forever. It is, I suspect, why most (all?) change management tools tend to rebuild everything when a file layout changes rather than rebuild affected modules and using UPDxxx

I've always been surprised that CM vendors (among others) have not used their influence with IBM to get this changed. I guess the fact that it hasn't changed may be because of a problem with the underlying ILE architecture. e.g. The object does not know which module uses which file object and therefore can't delete obsolete references. If that were the case you'd think a single module PGM or SRVPGM would not exhibit this behaviour since the redundancy can be easily determined but ...

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com