On 31 Mar 2013 19:04, Jim It wrote:

I've noticed that since we have been upgrading our partitions
that the column label text returned for any files from JAVA is
now returning only null values. <<SNIP>>

Hmmm... REMARKS I thought were for COMMENT ON rather than LABEL ON information. Regardless...

I would check the value for the REMARKS column in SYSCOLUMNS [in QSYS2 and SYSIBM] for some specific file names that are exhibiting the issue. The LONG_COMMENT FOR REMARKS column was changed to have the data type VARGRAPHIC(2000) CCSID 1200 on IBM i 7.1:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v7r1m0/topic/db2/rbafzcatsyscol.htm

The change was made from the data type VARCHAR(2000) with the CCSID of the installed Primary Language, as defined on prior releases:
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/topic/db2/rbafzcatsyscol.htm

Perhaps similarly look at the COLUMN_TEXT FOR LABELTEXT and COLUMN_HEADING FOR LABEL columns if perhaps the client request for /REMARKS/ is to return one of those instead. Those columns had the /same/ change made for v7r1.

If a duplicate of a file exhibiting the problem [CRTDUPOBJ or CREATE TABLE ... AS\LIKE] does not have the same problem, then the issue likely originated due to the upgrade\conversion. If the duplicate of the file exhibits the same issue, then there is likely a problem either with the tracking of the columns in the catalogs or with the interface to the client.

FWiW there is an APAR and PTF for an [un-described other than "corrupt"] issue with that column in the catalogs, and there is no mention in the APAR that the issue corrected by a PTF was manifest as the NULL value:
http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas3e8e2d87e616b0e0386257ab0004cf0c2
_i SI48143 - OSP-DB-OTHER-THREADS LONG_COMMENT FIELD GETS CORRUPT i_
"... v7r1m0 C3037710"