BRMS is definitely the way to go. There are alternatives to using BRMS
(and third party related products) though. And, not all media libraries
can be configured as sequential instead of random. Many can, some can't.

We originally fought BRMS because we felt our backup needs were oh so
unique. We had a consultant show us how to use our media library without
BRMS. Of course every third sentence began with "If you were using BRMS
you would...". But using a tape library without BRMS involves a series of
commands like (keeping in mind we shared the fiber san switch attached
media library among a few lpars):

... and these instructions may look even more confusing because the list
will strip out all the special formatting...

Load the ISeries tapes for that night's backup

The tapes are located on the shelf in the cabinet by the south door of the
computer room - the box to the left
Keep in mind that the tape names will change from day to day but the first
letter for each machine will always be the same
Put the tapes with the barcodes starting with D and H in the top I/O door
of the tape drive - the D tape first and the H tape second
When the drive is ready select TAP02 and APPLY
On a GDIHQ screen type
WRKTAPCTG TAPMLB02
Hit enter and wait till the Work with Tape Cartridges screen appears you
should see the following
DFRI12 *UNKNOWN L3 Inserted
HFRI12 *UNKNOWN L3 Inserted
Put a 1 in front of both tapes and hit enter - This will run for 3 or 4
minutes
When it finished the screen will change to
DFRI12 DFRI12 L3 Mounted
HFRI12 HFRI12 L3 Mounted
And at the bottom of the screen you will see
Cartridge DFRI12 volume DFRI12 mounted on device TAPMLB02.
On the command line type
SETTAPCGY DEV(TAPMLB02) OPTION(*MOUNTED)
You should see Category *NOSHARE mounted on device TAPMLB02 at the
bottom of the screen
CHKTAP TAPMLB02
This will turn the 2 GDIHQ tapes around in the drive and load the
correct starting tape for tonight's backup
You should see the volume name beginning with D at the bottom of
the screen. For example:
Volume DTHU12 found on device TAPMLB02.

Put the tapes with the barcodes starting with G and W in the top I/O door
of the tape drive - the G tape first and the W tape second
When the drive is ready select TAP04 and APPLY
On a GDI screen type
WRKTAPCTG TAPMLB04
Hit enter and wait till the Work with Tape Cartridges screen appears you
should see the following
GFRI12 *UNKNOWN L2 Inserted
WFRI12 *UNKNOWN L2 Inserted
Put a 1 in front of the tape starting with G ONLY and hit enter DO NOT DO
ANYTHING WITH THE TAPE STARTING WITH W YET - This will run for 1 or 2
minutes
When it finished the screen will change to
GFRI12 GFRI12 L2 Mounted
WFRI12 *UNKNOWN L2 Inserted
And at the bottom of the screen you will see
Cartridge GFRI12 volume GFRI12 mounted on device TAPMLB04.
On the command line type
SETTAPCGY DEV(TAPMLB04) OPTION(*MOUNTED)
You should see Category *NOSHARE mounted on device TAPMLB04. at
the bottom of the screen

On a GDWEB screen type
WRKTAPCTG TAPMLB04
Hit enter and wait till the Work with Tape Cartridges screen appears you
should see the following
GFRI12 *UNKNOWN L2 Inserted
WFRI12 *UNKNOWN L2 Inserted
Put a 1 in front of the tape starting with W ONLY and hit enter DO NOT DO
ANYTHING WITH THE TAPE STARTING WITH G THAT ONE IS LOADED - This will run
for 5 minutes and will time out.
The screen will change to
GFRI12 *UNKNOWN L2 Inserted
WFRI12 *UNKNOWN L2 Available
And you will see Resource request timed out on device TAPMLB04. at the
bottom of the screen. You get this message because the tape for GDI is
loaded in the drive and it couldn't physically load GDWEB's tape into the
drive. This is OK and the way it should be. The backup will take care of

Put the tape with the barcodes starting with S in the top I/O door of the
tape drive
When the drive is ready select TAP06 and APPLY
On a GDISYS screen type
WRKTAPCTG TAPMLB06
Hit enter and wait till the Work with Tape Cartridges screen appears you
will see
SFRI12 *UNKNOWN L3 Inserted
Put a 1 in front of the tape and hit enter - This will run for 1 or 2
minutes
The screen will change to
SFRI12 SFRI12 L3 Mounted
And at the bottom of the screen you will see
Cartridge SFRI12 volume SFRI12 mounted on device TAPMLB06.
On the command line type
SETTAPCGY DEV(TAPMLB06) OPTION(*MOUNTED)
At the bottom of the screen you should see Category *NOSHARE
mounted on device TAPMLB06.