Thanks for the opinions. I thought setting the maximums so high would prevent a future outage. I have a P5 (570), P6 (MMA) & P7 (MMD). I will look into processor pools.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Oberholtzer
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:21 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Partition Properties-Maximum Numbers (Opinion Needed)

Becky,

I will frequently do as your business partner did. Reason is if you do
decide to use more memory/processor that you expected to then you do not
have to change the high end limits and deactivate (shut down entirely)
and reactivate it in order to reset the high limits. Usually that's the
default when the customer does not have a very good idea or desire about
where the limits should be set.

The rational for the method you use is to be sure a specific partition
does not get past licensing limits, or other constraints; or worse case
scenario, run away with all the processing resources. Be aware though
that the minimums are important too. Another partition cannot use
processor capability that pushes a partition below it's minimums.

You don't mention what hardware your on but a method to control it in a
different way is to use processor pools. You can set them up and run
specific partitions in specific pools and limit your usage that way too.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects