Just out of curiosity Rob, how would Jim had been able to call IBM for assistance had the software maintenance been dropped? That was in the original post.

There are many reasons to not move straight to V7 from V5 and stop at V6, one of them is there are still OEM software vendors that have not made the move. I'm doing a V6 upgrade this weekend for that very reason. Maybe there is just a reluctance to take on the newest OS on an older piece of hardware and performance is a question, and that's only two reasons quickly.

My preference by far and away is to go straight to V7 but there are folks that just don't for their own reasons. As to the HMC vs. NeoWare vs. LAN console, hands down the HMC wins that one but the LAN console is a good option if you are waiting on a hardware upgrade and you get the HMC then. Still for a single LPAR machine the HMC is a bit of a large nut to crack financially. That can wind up being as much as 1/3 of the price of the whole upgrade if you only need a 4 way system with one processor licensed. That's getting into the hard to justify region.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects