On 19 Mar 2013 06:40, Matt Olson wrote:
I'll check into authorization lists as a potential solution to this
issue.

Unless something has changed, realize that the securing of an existing object to an *AUTL requires a two-stage assignment process whenever the *PUBLIC authority should come from the value established in the Authorization List. First the granting of the object to assign the authorization list, and then to grant to *PUBLIC the Authority List name:

grtobjaut theLib/theFile *FILE AUTL(theAutl)
grtobjaut theLib/theFile *FILE *PUBLIC AUT(*AUTL)

That is, there had not been the ability to effect the following in one request, which one might presume could imply the two prior requests done in one operation:

grtobjaut theLib/theFile *FILE AUT(*AUTL) AUTL(theAutl)

That is of course important for this topic\thread, because both of those requests require that the *FILE not be allocated to another job.

However when a file is created with the AUT(theAutl) specification [whether explicitly or via *LIBCRTAUT of the library into which the file was created, that securing for *PUBLIC via the authorization list is established implicitly.