I know this may have me looking totally ignorant but how are they
"checking out" an object? Is it some process in RDP? Is it some
homegrown utility? Is it a function of your change management package (if
so, whose)?

Because, when I use our change management package with RDP and I check out
an object it copies it to my work library. If others use the package to
try to modify the object in it's original library they are warned by the
package. If they modify the object outside of the package then all bets
are off. Saves of the original object are completed as if it's never been
"checked out". If I save my work library, then that is saved fine also.

Now, if you're talking about someone with an old 3180 terminal running SEU
leaving it in edit state every night after they've gone home well, now
perhaps I can see how that might cause locking issues. Perhaps you are a
shop where there's round the clock development and there's always some
member open in QRPGLESRC and you're wondering how to get that backed up
completely?

Help me to understand what is really going on before we try to solve the
wrong problem.