Dan,

I don't think it's a case of expediency winning out, the external resource has blatantly ignored the guidelines and instructions of his (or her) supervisor and then shown no contrition at all when pulled up on it. Had he (or she) been told to bypass the guidelines and standards that would be one thing, but that doesn't appear to have happened in this case.

Birgitta has a right to be annoyed and/or upset and in most cases the contractor would be let go or told to redo the work, although it would be very unlikely that the rework would be done at their own expense regardless of whether there's a clause in the contract or not that says standards must be adhered to.

Realistically code does get through that doesn't conform to standards, sometimes due to expediency and sometimes due to negligence. That is the reason code reviews exist and it surprises me that any contractor would take offence at having their code reviewed.

If Birgitta's manager insists that the contractor stays then the contractor should be made aware that ALL future work adheres to the standards without fail.

All the best

Jonathan