Logical files can share access paths. This is also true, as I recall, of indexes, which are a special kind of logical file.

Indexes do have a potential performance benefit - they can have larger pages brought into memory at one time. But LFs work just fine, although some recommend indexes when used only for optimization.

Create the index with both key fields first, then the one with only FieldA. And remember that to share, they have to start with the same columns.

I know I'm missing some details, but I hope this gets you started. Try creating the indexes and see if the second one says it is sharing the access path - look at DSPFD.

Let me see, maybe if you create the longer index first and an SQL index, then create the logical with the single field, it'll share the advantage of the index' access path - it's been too long!!!

Back to work!

Vern