On 28 Feb 2013 07:54, Robert Rogerson wrote:

Yesterday we attempted to migrate a large file (37 Gig) to the SSD
using CHGPF. When I check the file (DSPFD) it confirms that
UNIT(*SSD) is now changed. This morning when I ran a query on
syspartitiondisk it told my that 8% (33 Gig on HDD and 4 Gig on SDD)
had been migrated. I was expecting this percentage to be higher if
not at 100%.

Am I misunderstanding? If I specify the UNIT on a file to be SSD
does that not mean that the entire file will be migrated to the SSD?

According to a link posted by Rob Berendt, an answer is to use the CHGPFM in addition to the CHGPF [while instead of the CHGPF is likely valid too, that has other implications], "to *synchronously* move the data":
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ibmi/library/i-db2ssd/index.html
"... additions to the CHGPFM and CHGLFM commands that were also made available with the following PTFs: IBM i 6.1 (SF99601 Version 19) and IBM i 7.1 (SF99701 Version 6). There are no plans to support these enhancements on V5R4.
_CHGPFM and CHGLFM concurrency_

As mentioned earlier, all previous mechanisms of changing the media preference required an exclusive lock on the entire file. This prevented changing the media preference if any application was currently accessing the file or any member of the file. Conversely, if an exclusive lock was able to be acquired, concurrent applications would not be able to access the file and could fail with a lock time-out.

CHGLFM and CHGPFM do not require an exclusive lock like the previous methods. A *SHRUPD lock is required, but this only conflicts with another job that has an *SHRNUP, *EXCLRD, or *EXCL lock on the file. At this time, an exclusive seize is acquired by the DB2 engine to synchronously move the data, so while a lock time-out will not occur, other jobs will wait for the move to complete. At some point we may change the commands to asynchronously move the data which would not cause other jobs to wait for the move to complete.
..."

The other link given by Rob does not provide the same explanation, but its origin is from the support\service group; the prior article comes from the development group. That and because the other link does not even properly name the commands in its "Moving Files at the Member level" gives me confidence that the above snippet I quoted from the first link provided by Rob [from DeveloperWorks] is a better guide.