Having changed the policy, the package still runs, so at least I haven't made it worse! The real test will be after I'm able to reboot the server next month. Your links will help remind me of the details of what to do if it fails after that. Thank you. With any luck I'll have had time to test the alternative methods (JDBC, Ardgate, PHP) by then and see if they have merit.
--
Sean Porterfield
From: Matt Olson
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:12
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Microsoft Integration Services password

Sean,

I believe this might be caused by the default password encryption policy in SSIS. The default is "EncryptSensistiveWithUserKey" which uses the profile that originally created the package to store the encryption keys and requires that user execute/login to run that package. There are better alternatives you can read here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms141747.aspx

The most simple being EncryptSensitiveWithPassword, and then provide the /Decrypt "password" command line switch to DTEXEC (read about it here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162810(v=sql.105).aspx)

Matt