What's to say Iron mountain employee wasn't paid 50 bucks to hand the drives off to a third party?

There's all sorts of what if's here. Do you regularly provide the key to all your employees or do you keep it under tight wraps? At least one person needs to know what it is. This hasn't change from SED drives versus non-SED drives. You can also implement the two part keys with these drives where one employee only knows half the password, and the other employee knows the other half so both would have to be in cahoots with each other for it to be fully decrypted. Or split it out to 3, 4, or 5 parties if you really want to go crazy!

You can get a bit more info here, but there's lots more on the internet that you can read up on with regards to how these new drive types work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware-based_full_disk_encryption

-----Original Message-----
From: rob@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:rob@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 12:32 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: DISK Sanitizer Help

But then you run into what officially constitutes "destroy the disk".
There's still money involved.
Iron Mountain has shredders capable of shredding disk drives. They're bonded. So that should be acceptable.
The idea of tannerite and a .50cal may be effective but probably doesn't "officially" constitute "destroy the disk".
Then you get into the touchy feely green argument. Better to reuse then discard. IDK what hazards disk drives are to the landfill. Or if they are recyclable.
Besides, people preparing disk drives makes them available on the used market. Some people never buy a new car; some people never own current computer equipment.

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755