Where are you getting this information? Please cite research that proves this. We are talking about stuff that has only been finalized in 2009 via the OPAL group. Are you thinking of bitlocker or some other software based solution?

Self encrypting drives are completely different.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark D [mailto:mdlkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2013 12:37 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: DISK Sanitizer Help

Speaking strictly from a security practicality perspective:

On 2/22/2013 1:27 PM, Matt Olson wrote:
In the future, when you replace these disks you may want to opt for the new self-encrypting disk drives. It makes these discussions of disk wiping a thing of the past.

Instead you simple change the drive encryption key before handing them in for warranty replacement or for sale and all data on the drive is rendered useless.

These have been proven to be pretty vulnerable, at least PC oriented ones. I don't know if there are IBM i specific ones.