On 20 Feb 2013 16:23, A Paul wrote:

Just looking for some opinion here whether QGPL should be part of
the user library list (for test environment), I believe it can
invalidate tests and can have other impacts. I know IBM created QGPL
to contain some objects that are necessary for the system to perform
effectively.

I am not sure what about QGPL, with regard to it being in a library list anyway, is "necessary for the system to perform effectively" [except some oddity\defect with the printer file QPRINT].

I do not have a good understanding of its origins on the S/38, beyond being a location to store some customizable [mostly system Work Management] objects and a desire to satisfy the name resolution for the special value *CRTDFT [the "Create Default library" or "default current library", for when a current library has not been established for a user profile and\or its job, but for which resolution from *CURLIB to a specific name is required]. To me, everything about the library seems mostly about convenience for having customized WM objects that will not be replaced by an install of the OS; as if somehow, proper system change management as the onus of the admin is really all that complicated... but admittedly, a design intent of the system was to be simple enough for a "mom and pop" operation to run one :-)

But I do recall well, the library having been not so fondly nicknamed [within the IBM lab as] the Garbage Pile Library. That is in sharp contrast to its official moniker as the General Purpose Library. A separate library for the "create default" library should have been chosen, one which was not a quasi-system library; i.e. any library against which a CLRLIB would be of little concern... as many feel is the case for QRPLOBJ.

My rule is to never have the library QGPL in my library list. I do this because I do not want other people's /garbage/ being found by my unqualified requests. Having QGPL lower in my library list than those libraries where I want to find my stuff, is not relevant. If I issue WRKOBJ *USRLIBL/B* I do not want to see any objects created by others, and if I issue DLTF *USRLIBL/BOGUS when I do not happen to have a *FILE BOGUS in one of my user libraries, then I want neither to give the appearance that I tried to effect, nor actually though accidentally to effect, the deletion of the file QGPL/BOGUS.