Your business needs to buy a number. Whomever you're shipping those boxes to wants the company number to be your business number as assigned by TSI or whatever outfit is doing so these days. More than likely, you're only doing this because some major customer (Walmart?) is demanding ASN's. They want to know when they scan the barcode on that pallet tag that the shipper is *YOU*. Just making it unique is not enough. Talk to the customer. See what they want. More than likely they've sent you some requirements for the ASN as there's nothing standard about the 856 standard; each buyer has their own unique way of using them. Admittedly, it has been years since I did ASN's, but that employer shipped to Target, Walmart, and Kmart. Each of them had their own requirements for some of the fields in the ASN.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gary Thompson
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 10:33 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: GS1 Company Prefix

I am in early testing of an EDI 856 Advance Ship Notice app.

One detail concerning me is the "Company Prefix" that part of the SSCC-18 Serial Shipping Container Code.

I did ask for a GS1 Company number, but my company has balked at paying.

At this time I am using our 9 digit company DUNS number as the Company Prefix.

I have been able to gen 20 digit numbers with a check digit that passes a Check Digit Calculator available on the web.

Does anyone have current, real-world experience using a DUNS number to form an SSCC-18 ?

Thanks!

P.S.
I am using the following "structure" for the SSCC-18:

AAeCCCCCCCsssssssssD

Where: AA Application Identifier (AI)

("00" is the AI value for SSCC-18 data structure)

e Extension digit (has no defined use and is
used as an extra digit for the Company
Prefix and Serial Number combination).

CCCCCCC Company Prefix of 7-10 digits. (9 for my app)

sssssssss Serial Reference of 6-9 digits. (7 for my app)

The total length of the Company Prefix and
Serial Reference is 16.
(17 if the Extension Digit is used ??)

D Modulo 10 Check Digit.