On 19 Feb 2013 10:51, Nathan Andelin wrote:
On 19 Feb 2013 10:01, Buck Calabro wrote:
On 19 Feb 2013 09:46, James H. H. Lampert wrote:
Out of morbid curiosity, what's the maximum parameter length a
command front-end can prompt and pass to its CPP? I defined the
"BODY" parameter as the full 20,000, and it compiled, but it
isn't prompting no 20k.

Prompt the command. Put an ampersand as the first and only
character in the 20k field and press Enter to see more entry
space.

Message . . : Field at maximum display length.
Cause . . . : An ampersand was entered to expand the length of
an input field, but the field is already at the maximum length.
The maximum length is 80 for an indented qualifier or for any
field on the Specify Value for Parameter display, and is 512
for other fields. The field cannot be made larger than the
current size.

Not sure if the original question is asking for the "maximum" length of a parameter value for both "prompt and pass", or perhaps the "maximum" length separately for each of "prompt and pass". The prior responses quoted above, address only prompting limits.

As non-prompted, the limit to the size of the value for the parameter could be only that of the length of the entire command string. So if the command parameter was declared as a *CHAR of 20K, then possibly the non-prompted command string passing a 20K string parameter could be functional, if the limits for the entire command string does not exceed any limits of the environment in which the full command string is processed. For example a command string of around 1336+ is unusable in the larger command entry, but can be entered in a CL or CLP source using continuation characters. Note: Escaped apostrophes could cause the [portion of that specific parameter of the] command string to be much larger than the actual value passed.

However in v5r3 the message CPD0074 suggests when diagnosing a string of greater than 5K characters, that the "Value &3 for &2 exceeds &4 characters." where the replacement for &4 is 5000. That is far short of 20K, but later releases may increase that limit.?