I would leave it up and yes that's big enough. My personal system that I use for that is six 10GB drives and it works very well. That becomes your repository for the single and only copy of Groups/PTFs you need to store. Leave the distribution so if you need to spin up a new LPAR quick (hosted) you can do that in literally minutes (not including DASD initialization). Use that if your just adding an LPP that was missed. Applying Groups and PTFs with this technique is often faster than a local image catalog since the disk are all involved in the PTF application process not reading the group.

I would not make any changes such as removing IBM supplied objects (QMPGDATA/QPFRDATA) since many of those objects are needed for proper operations of some of the LPPs. (those are almost empty anyway)

As Larry indicated, if you have a decent pipe between buildings it still might be faster than an image catalog depending on the size of the system, disk arms, etc. However any way you cut it, it's easier.......

In my view the virtual network boot and ptf apply are among the most important things Rochester has provided from the Administrators standpoint. Some of the other networking stuff is right up there too.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects