On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Vernon Hamberg
<vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm just curious - which user space APIs are obsolete?

The Python wrappers were ported from an older version of iSeries
Python to the current version of iSeries Python. The old wrappers
still work if you are using the old Python, and indeed I have both
versions installed on my current V5R4 machine at work. The old Python
is not obsolete per se, but the current Python is so much better in so
many respects that I feel it would be a shame to have to tell people
"oh, well, in order to access such-and-such APIs, you have to use the
old Python".

As to difficult, I can't see anything much easier than navigating a user
space with a pointer.

There's some setup involved to access user spaces. What I mean is,
RPG is extremely tightly integrated with physical files and even
provides native opcodes for them in the language; so the setup for
working with files in RPG is much less than for working with user
spaces. True, you can write helpers and wrappers and package them up
in a service program or what have you, so you have to do less setup
after that initial effort.

But you can do the same with Python. Once you have appropriately
wrapped the relevant APIs, it's easy from then on. I would argue that
it is easier to use well-wrapped functionality in Python than
well-wrapped functionality in RPG, and Python's advantage grows the
more complex and dynamic the functionality.

John