Yeah understood, all OS's these days do that and all databases do that today. I'm talking about individual applications utilizing multiple cores.

For instance I'm not sure how you right a massively parallel processing RPG program like you can do in other programming languages.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark S Waterbury [mailto:mark.s.waterbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2013 11:43 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: new power7+ models, # of threads

Matt:

The operating system (IBM i or OS/400) can take advantage of multiple cores, for example, when running multiple jobs simultaneously, in different job queues or in the same, multi-threaded job queue. Also, various IBM program products take advantage of multiple cores and multiple threads. For example, DB2 can take advantage of multiple threads when processing queries, etc.

So, even though your applications might not be written to directly exploit multiple threads, does not mean that there may be some benefits to having more than one processor core available.

Also, the *JOBD contains an attribute "Allow multiple threads" that you can use to allow a batch job to use mulitple threads. But the programs must be designed and written to take advantage of multiple threads.

HTH,

Mark S. Waterbury