On 29 Jan 2013 14:33, Jim Oberholtzer wrote:
It can because the save is operating on both the object header and
the data portion of the object. In the cases I have run into either
the save was canceled manually with an *IMMED option, or save while
active checkpoints were in limbo, and a couple of cases were the
object was locked. Remember a save is more than just reading the data
portion of the object, it updates the object header and other
internal structures while it's operating.

What updates would be made to the objects being saved? I am aware of none. Of course, actual changes should be reflected in the Last Change Date\Time which is stored in the object header. I do not expect many objects [types] saved will show their change date to match when they were just saved.

A save must navigate an object, but the OS save [and LIC dump] feature should not update the object being saved. I accept there may be some rare circumstances; e.g. I was flummoxed when Database Save chose to write a corrective object change to an index space during saves [mostly because of the negative impacts on restores and for the differences between that and a the next save], but that was the first ever I was aware of a write to an object being saved object by DB Save. Even the /update history/ which, if included, is written in a separate location from the object; i.e. in the OIR, and after the object is saved. Even the post-IPL LIC CF /first touch/ update is not done during saves; for sure not to the DB portion, well... since that issue was corrected after being broken for awhile, because that feature adds to storage taken during the save and is not returned until the next IPL.

All of the errors I have encountered have been on data objects
(tables, indexes, etc) I have yet to see it on V7, rarely on V6,
and often enough on V5R4 to be concerning.

Specifically what errors transpired may help to clarify.