I agree with Dan. Exclude it from your save since it is easily recovered in other ways, and does not change very often. Your monthly/Quarterly full system saves should be plenty. (or after a group/cumulative installation)

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects

On 1/29/2013 9:01 AM, Dan Kimmel wrote:
Don't worry about backing it up every day. It changes only via PTF. It is easily recovered if necessary.

jt400.jar is the Toolkit for Java. It contains the JDBC database drivers for Java as well as a whole bunch of java classes for accessing IBMi API's. It might have been in use from iNav or one of the HTTPSVR instances.

-----Original Message-----
From:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jeff Crosby
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:50 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: jt400.jar in use

All,

I've spent a couple of weeks re-engineering our nightly BRMS backup to be as much save-while-active (SWA) as possible (the subject of a rather long thread here).

I put it in production today and it ran flawlessly except for one little hiccup. This *LINK object, /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/acsi/lib/jt400.jar, was not saved because it was in use. This was at 4:19am with no users signed on. Controlling subsystem would have been started about 1 hour earlier, and subsystem QHTTPSVR would have been ended when the error occurred.

When I drilled down in Navigator, it did indicate the file had been used today, but does not give a time. There is no WRKOBJLCK equivalent for IFS files, but I found this online CALL QP0FPTOS PARM(*LSTOBJREF '/ifspath/ifsfile' *FORMAT2) that showed me there were no locks on it now.
<g>

I had tested the *LINK save as SWA close to a dozen times over the past 10 days and this particular file never showed up as being in use. My question is, essentially, why today? Was this a fluke? How can I find out what was using this file at that time?

I did download and stage the latest Java group PTF yesterday afternoon, to be applied the next IPL, if that makes a difference.

I just don't want this file getting missed every day.

--
Jeff Crosby
VP Information Systems

The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily the opinion of my company. Unless I say so.