Thanks Buck, and others...great info as usual. I've always used the browser 2001/HTTPAdmin and then clicked on the global config for apache but I see there are other servers and we have several running. Well, I'm gonna restart and see what happens. I figure Friday late afternoon on a test box shouldn't interrupt too many users.

-----Original Message-----
From: Buck Calabro <kc2hiz@xxxxxxxxx>
To: midrange-l <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Jan 25, 2013 2:06 pm
Subject: Re: How to view apache logs?

Hi Frank,
here's no simple IBM i way to find out what 'stuff' a given Apache
erver is doing. That's because the server is like a middle-man between
he browser and jobs running on i. If there's no web traffic, there may
ot be a server job running, or there might be a server job left over
rom the web request 10 minutes ago.
So as you note, shutting down the Apache server could shut down a pile
f different web services. The way I'd approach this question is to
ook at the configuration file for the given Apache instance you want to
urn down. wrklnk '/www' and then drill down into the instance. Let's
ay it's apachedft. Go into the conf directory and have a look at the
ttpd.conf file. If someone set things up nicely, there will be a
Directory ...> directive for each directory that is open(ish) to the
eb. Those names should be a good start as to the services that are open.
But that's not the entire picture. I have a <Directory
www/apachedft/htdocs/perl-bin> directive, which tells me that there's
ome Perl stuff running, but what? For that, I have to go into wrklnk
www/apachedft/htdocs/perl-bin and see what files are there. Those will
escribe the Perl services available.
Follow the directives one by one to map out what's set up on that Apache
nstance.
--buck