Actually, dekko-1 is a valid domain name for internal use, according to
the standards. It's just that Linux, other toy operating systems, and
numerous applications don't give a rats rear about the standards and hate
the dash. We are trying to phase that out. But I digress...

So why doesn't PING, DIG or NSLOOKUP use the domain search list?

DIG HOSTNAME(traveler01)
; <<>> DiG 9.4.3-P4.V6R1M0 <<>> -q traveler01 @10.10.4.250 @10.10.4.252
@10.17.4.180
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 1787
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;traveler01. IN A
;; Query time: 47 msec
;; SERVER: 10.10.4.250#53(10.10.4.250)
;; WHEN: Mon Jan 21 09:51:23 2013
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 28

DIG HOSTNAME(traveler01.dekko.com)
; <<>> DiG 9.4.3-P4.V6R1M0 <<>> -q traveler01.dekko.com @10.10.4.250
@10.10.4.252 @10.17.4.180
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;traveler01.dekko.com. IN A
;; ANSWER SECTION:
traveler01.dekko.com. 3600 IN A 208.87.180.40
;; Query time: 43 msec
;; SERVER: 10.10.4.250#53(10.10.4.250)
;; WHEN: Mon Jan 21 09:52:39 2013
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 54

NSLOOKUP HOSTNAME(traveler01)
Server: 10.10.4.250
Address: 10.10.4.250#53
** server can't find traveler01: SERVFAIL

NSLOOKUP HOSTNAME(traveler01.dekko.com)
Server: 10.10.4.250
Address: 10.10.4.250#53
Name: traveler01.dekko.com