without journaling = 100 %
with journaling without commitment control 35%
with journaling and commitment control (or journal cache option) 96%

Yeah...it's that big....

And yes the hardware has changed, but the fundamental reasons for the
difference has not nor will it unless we get permanent storage that's as
fast as memory. (even SSD's are still orders of magnitude slower than
RAM.) Spend a little time with the documents provided and you'll

The above doc is from 2008. See also links here from 2011