From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 3:56 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Gb Ethernet

This new information about virtual tape versus save files got our department thinking:
Can /QFileSvr.400 be used to host image catalog entries?

Methinks not.

Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

From: DrFranken <midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Cc: rob@xxxxxxxxx
Date: 01/11/2013 02:29 PM

Does seem to matter!

Test 1: - Save File- QGPL to QGPL.
265727616 bytes, 6.561 secs, rate 40503.883 KB/sec.

Test 2: - PTF Image:
169478144 bytes, 1.835 secs, rate 92360.625 KB/sec.
- So better than double the speed for IFS image vs QSYS.LIB file.

Test 3: - Save file- QGPL to IFS
265727616 bytes, 3.096 secs, rate 85837.562 KB/sec.
- Double+ the speed writing to IFS instead of QSYS.lib

Test 4: - Save File- IFS to QGPL
265727616 bytes, 9.324 secs, rate 28498.646 KB/sec.
- Curious that this is slower than QSYS.lib to QSYS.lib.

Test 5: - Save file- IFS to IFS
265727616 bytes, 3.644 secs, rate 72930.867 KB/sec.
- YES 1/4 Slower than a PTF image! Odd....

All tests performed between two IBM i 7.1 partitions on POWER7 720.
Network goes through VIOS out to Cisco Switch and to dedicated lan card
on FTP server partition. Server partition is host, client partition is a
guest.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com