Microsoft has had a monthly update cycle for patch releases going back to
the Windows 98 days. It's called Patch Tuesday and is the 2nd Tuesday of
the month (next week). They will also release the occasional out-of-cycle
updates but have found better acceptance from their customers if they
release the patches together. It's far easier on the change management
process to simply say "deploy January 2013 patches listed at
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/"; then to do 9
different change requests scattered through the month.

Service Packs, like IBM i cumulative PTF release, are generally just
roll-ups of all previously released patches. Sometimes they introduce
support for new features (like an IBM i TR) but generally they're a patch
consolidation. That's why MS has 2 installers for the SP: Regular (also
what Microsoft Update uses) and Network Deployment. Regular does a check
of what's already on the PC and downloads only what's needed; ND is
designed to be pushed to PCs with an unknown patch state and thus contains
all patches in the SP. The process is pretty similar to using Fix Central
to pull custom Cume packages that only include what a particular LPAR needs
v. all available PTFs.

IBM & MS, coming from different background, have arrived at strikingly
similar methodologies for patch distribution. Both even have management
utilities to offer centralized control over patch roll-outs within an
environment.

W8 and Server 2012 are a little more forgiving with updates than prior
versions; after downloading updates that require a reboot (which fewer and
fewer updates need) it will wait up to two days before forcing a reboot.
Still not as forgiving as IBM i which will just sit & wait until you decide
to IPL.

Anyway, I'd suggest running the MS Upgrade Assistant (
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8) on a PC
with an up-to-date install of System i Access. You don't have to do a W8
upgrade but it will tell you what apps (and hardware) on the PC will work,
what needs to be re-installed post-upgrade, and what isn't compatible.

The W8 desktop is by-and-large a lightly re-skinned W7 environment; I don't
see any reason why System i Access wouldn't work. On my machines so far,
printer & video drivers and all mainstream apps have migrated with no
problems. Just one utility - a CD image file mounter - was triggered by
the Upgrade Assistant as needing to be reinstalled post-upgrade.

I've been replacing my very old Windows Home Server with a Windows Server
2012 Essentials box and the online directions note that the S12E connector
app also needs to be re-installed if a PC is upgraded from W7 to W7. But
that's only so it can be set to exploit W8 under-the-cover features that W7
lacked. Not a compatibility issue per se.

I no longer manage any IBM i systems so I can't speak to genuine
compatibility but I really don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.