They don't really.

The only two measures I have found to satisfy the ones that have that check mark on their list, is to show them the BRMS reports that show no write errors to the tape (you can get almost the same information from SST) and to test a random file to restore. Tivoli keeps really nice statistics too if your using that.

99% of the auditors that ask for that don't even bother to look at the back up routines to see if they are complete or not since they would have no clue what they were looking at. Pure smoke for someone to feel good about.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects