Very true. Had a customer who still had 3200 BPI 10" Reel tapes in storage up to a few years back. Every year the auditors would ask: "Do you have a tape drive that can read these tapes?" Truthful answer was Yes, however it was on a pallet and couldn't be connected to any machine they had possessed for 10 years! Finally one auditor asked: "And can that drive be used today?" Truthful answer: No. ALL those tapes and the drive went to the dump via a shredding service.

This is also why I keep in the FrankenLab: LTO1, LTO2, LTO3 drives. 3570 Drives. QIC 2G, 4G, 13/16G, 25G, and 100G drives. 8MM 7/15G and 20/40 AME, 3590 J, and 3490 drives - just in case someone calls. :-) (And they do call!) I also have LTO4 and LTO5 and RDX in my colo. No I can't hook ALL Of them up at once....

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis