DrFranken wrote:
I recall data showed that when it was free, everyone tried it but since there was no cost, and therefore no perceived 'loss' for not using it, it got pushed to the back burner. Since training was really required but again product was free so why pay to train on a free product. Then some didn't have enough screen real-estate or big enough PC to be productive and again "why spend money to run a free product."

So IBM begins to charge. Now the questions are asked: "Are our PCs big enough, if not fix that. Do we have training available? If not get that. Did we pay money for product, PC, and Training? Then Use it!!"

Reminds me of the one year Hollywood Bowl tried building the cost of programs (i.e., whatever wasn't covered by the ad revenue) into the ticket price, and passing them out free, rather than charging 50 cents (which eventually went up to 75, then a buck).

They had discarded programs thrown all over the place. People who would never dream of throwing programs around at the Music Center were throwing them into the bushes, dropping them on the ground, and so forth. Unfortunately, all too often, what is given away without charge is perceived as being worthless.

*****

As to tools, the fact that a tool is newer does not necessarily make it better. A Dremel motor-tool may be a faster tool for drilling tiny holes than a pinvise, but that doesn't make it a better one; a pinvise has a lot more control. Or you can plow grooves and dadoes with a plow-plane, or a table-saw, or a router; with any of them, there are tradeoffs.

--
JHHL