Dynamic SQL has already been noted to be one option. With that, comes the standard warning, for taking care against SQL injection.

There is the option to divide the work into two SQL statements: the purely DDL CREATE TABLE AS ... WITH NO DATA followed by the DML INSERT INTO ... SELECT ... FROM. The INSERT statement does not have the restriction for its SELECT, as diagnosed by SQL0090 for the CREATE TABLE DDL statement does with its SELECT. I do not expect any release to allow the host variables, as noted [though described as "parameter markers" instead of "host variables"] in the following message:
http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/200905/msg00233.html

exec sql
create table qtemp/fgShpnum as
( select a.finpalid
, cast(null as decimal(7, 0)) NbrShpnum
from dshpf05 a
) with no data
; -- original fullselect should be fine, commenting WHERE clause
-- this statement is just more succinct

exec sql
insert into qtemp/fgShpnum
with
t1 as ( select distinct a.finpalid, a.shpnum
from dshpf05 a
where date(a.assemts) between date(:fromdate)
and date(:todate)
)
select a.finpalid, decimal(count(*), 7, 0) NbrShpnum
from t1 a
group by a.finpalid
;

SQL Global Variables, available with IBM i 7.1 database SQL, may be able to be used [in place of the disallowed Host Variables] in the WHERE clause of the CTE of the CREATE TABLE AS.? Perhaps someone can confirm or disprove.?

If there is concern for maintaining the two SELECT statements, e.g. as noted in http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/200509/msg01192.html , then there is also an option to create a temporary TABLE or VIEW with the [two date] values to be compared against in the WHERE clause. While that would be additional DDL and DML, those would be maintained separately from any changes to the dshpf05 on the FROM or other changes to that one SELECT in the CREATE TABLE. And given availability of a separate source pre-processor, some INCLUDE-like feature could enable maintaining the same SELECT statement in one location, used for both the CREATE TABLE and the INSERT, with macro language [e.g. "if defined" logic] excluding all lines of the WHERE clause [with the host variables] in the included SELECT only for the CREATE statement.

Regards, Chuck