From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete Helgren
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 5:03 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Software Vendors - A small rant

See...IBM should have gone the route that Oracle has gone with Java.
This just came into my inbox:

End of Public Updates for Java SE 6

The last publicly available release of Oracle JDK 6 is to be released in
February, 2013. This means that after February 19, 2013, all new
security updates, patches and fixes for Java SE 6 and Java SE 5 will
only be available through My Oracle Support and will thus require a
commercial license with Oracle.

If IBM had sun-setted the AS/400, iSeries and System i in the same
manner, offering no support whatsoever without a "commercial" support
contract, folks might have upgraded. Instead, boxes run forever and
updates were easy to get without a support contract (until very recently).

Building something that lasts and supporting it while it lasts is a
concept very few companies pursue. Better to come up with a new
version, force folks to upgrade or else and charge exorbitant fees for
the privilege...that's how to make money in this business.

This spoken by a guy who has a 1993 Toyota Previa van with 270,000 miles
on it....(and loves Toyota for just that reason)....it just runs....

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java